Sunday 2 October 2011

Cunningham technique- 28/09/11- number 1


Hitting shapes. Need to make sure heads down and shoulders forward. My alignment and posture is very good when standing tall. Need to align my arms more, make them more engaged and tightened. I need to loosen my spine more. My flat back has improved here from the previous exercises in the Graham technique. I have a straight back and my head is a diagonal. So during the week I worked on my flat back and you can see it has become stronger. I need to show my curve more when turning to the left or right. I have pointed toes but I need to extend my feet more and work through the stages of kicking my feet out. So the flat foot, to balls of my feet to my toes and reversed. Need to ensure my arms are in line with my shoulders and extend my finger tips. 3 minutes 45 seconds we tilted to an arch back to a tilt into a curve. Make sure I keep my hips still. I need to get deeper and bend more when I'm in second position. My hips shouldn't shift at all (almost as if I have headlights on my hips and they need to flash forward. Keep arms firm and extended. 4 minutes in to the exercise I shouldn't be tired so need to keep all my muscles tight and in position. Keep my bum tucked in.
I think were studying Graham and Cunningham techniques so as learning dancers we can understand the uses of different parts of our body. The curve, arch and tilt idea shows us how to move just one part of the body and show how restricted the rest of the body has to be to show just one part contracting or moving. The difference between the two is the interpretation that Cunningham took from Graham to make it more masculine and use the body more where as Graham liked the idea to show the stages of woman hood through the soul and emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment